The Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transcript 10/04/07 - Dave Treene

5 posters

Go down

Transcript 10/04/07 - Dave Treene Empty Transcript 10/04/07 - Dave Treene

Post by BBTranscriptTeam Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 pm

Dave Treene
Montgomery, NJ
Commercial printer

Dave's wife and daughters dressed Dave for yesterday's show and had to do so again, today. His daughters think he dresses like a dork.

Two of Dave's daughters, including one who is obvious younger than 18, are in the audience with his wife, Laurie. His oldest daughter is traveling in Europe.

$4,000
"Potent potable" is a fancy phrase that refers to which of the following?
A: Hearty soups B: Strong spices
C: Gourmet cheeses D: Alcoholic beverages

Dave has an inkling on this one and goes with his gut.

$8,000
Known for its mysterious, masked competitors, Lucha Libre is a style of pro wrestling that originated in what country?
A: Brazil B: Spain
C: Panama D: Mexico

Dave remembers the movie, "Nacho Libre," which he didn't see. He hopes the audience has.
ATA: A: 12% B: 16% C: 3% D: 69%

$16,000
Tenzing Norgay was the renowned Sherpa guide for what famous explorer?
A: Ferdinand Magellan B: Edmund Hillary
C: Marco Polo D: Robert Peary

Dave knows Sherpa guides lead mountain climbers. He can take Magellan off the list and has a pretty good clue, but he uses his 50/50.

50/50 leaves B & D.

$25,000
A clear substance called the vitreous humor constitutes approximately 80% of what body part?
A: Pancreas B: Kidney
C: Eye D: Brain

Dave had a torn retina about a year ago and learned a lot about the eye as a result of that.

-- Commercial Break --

$50,000
In 2007, high-wire performers inspired the headline "Tightrope Skywalkers Cross Han Solo" by crossing a river in what country?
A: South Korea B: Cambodia
C: Indonesia D: Thailand

When Dave saw the name Han Solo, he was thinking Southeast Asia, but all four choices are from there. He decides to switch the question, without taking a guess.

STQ $50,000
Now used to mean "gossip," the term "scuttlebutt" was originally a nautical term referring to what item on a ship?
A: Cask of water B: Rope ladder
C: Barrel of gunpowder D: Flagpole

Dave thinks the time and place for sailors to gossip would be around a water cooler or cask of water.

PAF: Dave calls his brother, Eric. He paraphrases the question without reading the choices.

Eric: Ummm, scuttlebutt was a water fountain or something that held water on a ship.

Dave: Good! One of the answers is cask of water.
Eric: I'd go with that one.

Dave: Good thought. Thank you, bro!

Eric: Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

$100,000
Founded in Washington, D.C. in 1885, the Gridiron Club is a prestigious organization composed primarily of what?
A: Congressmen B: Journalists
C: Lobbyists D: Military leaders

Dave associates gridiron with football. He doesn't want to risk $25,000 to make a guess.

Dave walks with $50,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$4,000: D: Alcoholic beverages
$8,000: D: Mexico
$16,000: B: Edmund Hillary
$25,000: C: Eye
$50,000: A: South Korea
STQ $50,000: A: Cask of water
$100,000: B: Journalists

BBTranscriptTeam

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Transcript 10/04/07 - Dave Treene Empty Re: Transcript 10/04/07 - Dave Treene

Post by earendel Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:13 am

OK, so I'm obsessive (or narcissistic, depending upon how you look at it) - posting my transcript replies on every board.

I thought Dave might go far into the stack.

$4K - A popular category on J! - I'm surprised Dave didn't know it right away.

$8K - One doesn't have to have seen the movie (I didn't) to know the answer. Although "Spain" was a nice distractor.

$16K - He "has a pretty good clue" but still goes with the lifeline. There's a lot of that going around and it prevents players from getting to the really big money.

$50K - This is a pretty tough question and I'd be going for lifelines also. I'd probably have gone with STQ also because it might be tough to Google (although with time, the answer is at the top of the results).

$50K (STQ) - In the comfort of my recliner I immediately went for "A" but in the HS I'd have been torn between "cask of water" and "barrel of gunpowder", knowing that a "butt" is an archaic name for a container. So try the 50/50 and see which one is left.

$100K - The Gridiron Club is the one that puts on the comedy show every year, more of a roast, really. It's the one where Stephen Colbert got into hot water for some pointed remarks about the president. And of course Meredith knew it.

So Dave didn't win enough to pay for three weddings and three college tuitions, but he did OK.
earendel
earendel

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NellyLunatic1980 Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 am

$50K #1: Good question for the Googling PAF.

$50K #2: I've read many years ago that a butt is a 120-gallon (I might have the number wrong) barrel of water. Makes perfect sense that the word for a pirate's water cooler would later become the word for gossip.

$100K: I thought it was military leaders. Journalists would have been my second. 50:50 lifeline for me. If D stays, I'm gone with $25K. If D disappears, I'm going for $250K with ATA and STQ at hand.
NellyLunatic1980
NellyLunatic1980

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/nellylunaticsfan/atgs_wwtbam.html

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 am

earendel wrote:OK, so I'm obsessive (or narcissistic, depending upon how you look at it) - posting my transcript replies on every board.

It's kind of necessary, until we decide on a new home. Posting the transcripts to four different places is a drag, too; particularly since the editors have individual quirks, like this one not recognizing multiple carriage returns.
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostjmf Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:53 am

16K: Astonishing giveaway, after that hard one the other day. More than one hard one, in previous days.

50K: Kinda think I would have heard of it during the Vietnam era if it were a river in Cambodia or Thailand. 50/50 should work here , but I'd still be scared. So STQ

STQ 50K: Remember some character in Shakespeare (&/or history), drowned in a butt of malmsey? A butt is a barrel. Or a cask.

So when "barrel of gunpowder" came up, even though I knew sailors would be much more inclined to be shipping water, I'd then 50/50.

100K: I knew this one. I listen to too much Journalist-talk radio!
ghostjmf
ghostjmf

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down