The Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transcript 10/03/2007 - Kim Fravel

5 posters

Go down

Transcript 10/03/2007 - Kim Fravel Empty Transcript 10/03/2007 - Kim Fravel

Post by BBTranscriptTeam Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:22 am

Kim Fravel
Trumbull, CT
Stay-at-home mom

Kim is originally from Tennessee. During the break she looked up and saw herself and couldn't believe that she's actually here. "It's amazing". She laughs when she's nervous - she laughed a lot at her wedding. Meredith asks her how things are now. She's still laughing.

$100 - Home to hundreds of minerals, Idaho has what state nickname?
A - The Sunshine State
B - The Gem State
C - The Peach State
D - The Bling! Bling! State

$200 - A common piece of business advice urges you to do what "outside the box"?

A - run
B - dress
C - think
D - laugh

$300 - "Burn, baby, burn!" is an oft-repeated lyric in a '70s dance hit with what title?

A - Disco Blizzard
B - Disco Inferno
C - Disco Igloo
D - Disco Whirlpool

$500 - Bull riders are often assisted in the arena by helpers called "rodeo" what?

A - clowns
B - pirates
C - knights
D - wizards

Kim laughs when "clowns" is revealed.

$1K - In 1993, a popular book series was launched with the publication of "Chicken Soup for the" what?

A - Mind
B - Body
C - Heart
D - Soul

Meredith says, "See how easy this is?" Kim laughs.

$2K - The slang phrase "on the DL" is often used as a substitute for which of these adjectives?

A - beautiful
B - secret
C - cheap
D - difficult

$4K - In 2007, 7-Eleven stores were temporarily converted into "Kwik-E-Marts" to promote the release of what film?

A - Shrek the Third
B - Hairspray
C - Underdog
D - The Simpsons Movie

Meredith stumbles over "Kwik-E-Mart", putting the emphasis on the "E" (as in e-mail). Kim has an idea but she's not sure so she wants to ask the audience.

ATA results
A - 4%
B - 7%
C - 2%
D - 87%

Kim laughs when she sees the result. She goes with the audience's answer.

Commercial break

An on-screen graphic shows Kim as a stay-at-home mom.

The first thing Kim wants to do with the money is add a bathroom to the house. She has two boys and they spend a lot of time in the one they have. She doesn't know what they're doing in there; Meredith replies, "You probably don't want to know."

$8K - The chemical elements technetium, uranium, and plutonium all share what common physical property?

A - they are radioactive
B - they are bioluminescent
C - They are alkali metals
D - they are halogens

Meredith mispronounces "technetium" as "techneechium".

Kim studied to be a nuclear engineer. Meredith sounds incredulous. She changed her mind because she wasn't good in fluid mechanics. But she did well with the radioactive stuff. Meredith asks if she was exposed to radiation. Kim replies, "Maybe."

$16K - By definition, what does an alate animal have?

A - gills
B - scales
C - wings
D - fangs

Meredith pronounces "alate" as "a-late".

Kim's never heard the word so she decides to phone a friend. She wants to call TJ. He works with her husband in the EMC lab - she's never met him but he seems like a very nice guy. "I hope he'll be nice," Kim says. Meredith adds, "And smart, too." Meredith tells TJ that she's with "his old buddy Kim." Kim reads the question, spells "alate" then hesitates before
reading the choices. The call ends without TJ giving any answer. He was still nice. Meredith reminds Kim she has the 50/50, which she uses, leaving C and D. Kim still has no idea, so she decides to walk away. After the answer is revealed, Kim says that she was going to go with "D".

Commercial break

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (The Gem State)
$200 - C (think)
$300 - B (Disco Inferno)
$500 - A (clowns)
$1K - D (Soul)
$2K - B (secret)
$4K - D (The Simpsons Movie
)
$8K - A (they are radioactive)
$16K - C (wings)

BBTranscriptTeam

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Transcript 10/03/2007 - Kim Fravel Empty Re: Transcript 10/03/2007 - Kim Fravel

Post by earendel Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:48 am

Kim laughed a lot, not only from nerves. And Meredith seemed to have lots of pronunciation problems - what's up with that?

$2K - If you know what "DL" stands for this isn't difficult. Evidently the term has a different connotation among some African-Americans; we have a columnist for the local newspaper who has spoken about this (it refers to African-American men having sex with other men but keeping it hidden because evidently there is less toleration for gays among African-Americans).

$8K - I always heard it pronounced "tek-NET-ium" but Merriam-Webster indicates that it's "tek-ne-shium", so Meredith wasn't as far off as I thought when she said it. And is radioactivity a physical property?

$16K - "Alar" and "alae" are oft-used words in crossword puzzles, so this was easy. Again, Merriam-Webster indicates it's pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable - "A-late", instead of "a-LATE".

earendel
earendel

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostjmf Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:57 am

16K: No friggin' idea. Thought it *wouldn't* be wings, as "I'd know that". Uh huh. PAF a Googler.

Hey, all, how do you turn *off* the italics once you've onned them? Normal "off" methods don't seem to be working, so I'll stick with my old nerdly pre-web-days emphasis stars.
ghostjmf
ghostjmf

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostjmf Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 am

re ear's comment:

I'm not a crossworder, but words like "aileron" should have clued me. Didn't, though. Diff spelling & all.
ghostjmf
ghostjmf

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:00 am

$2K - The slang phrase "on the DL" is often used as a substitute for which of these adjectives?

A - beautiful
B - secret
C - cheap
D - difficult

I couldn't recall what DL stood for. Might have burned the ATA here.

$16K - By definition, what does an alate animal have?

A - gills
B - scales
C - wings
D - fangs

And I can't recall hearing this term, either, so there goes the PAF. And which search engine to use here is important. Merriam-Webster provides the definition easily enough, but Google interpretted "alate" as the equivalent of "a late" which returned lots of completely useless hits.
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NellyLunatic1980 Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kim Fravel
Trumbull, CT
Stay-at-home mom

Southwest Connecticut, so I believe we have another WE®.

$100 - Home to hundreds of minerals, Idaho has what state nickname?
A - The Sunshine State
B - The Gem State
C - The Peach State
D - The Bling! Bling! State

E - The "I am not gay!" State

A - beautiful
B - secret
C - cheap
D - difficult

E - senatorial

$16K: I've done enough crossword puzzles over the years to know that "ala" is the scientific word for wings.

I'm nihil obstat® going into the $25,000 question.
NellyLunatic1980
NellyLunatic1980

Number of posts : 21

http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/nellylunaticsfan/atgs_wwtbam.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down