The Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting

+13
DevilKitty100
tlynn
Beebs52
kayrharris
eyƩgor
SportsFan68
peacock2121
TheCalvinator24
MarleysGh0st
Bob Juch
BackInTex
Rexer25
TheConfessor
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting - Page 2 Empty Re: Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting

Post by Beebs52 Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:44 pm

I'll go anywhere but some of the bells and whistles here are fun.
Beebs52
Beebs52

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Back to top Go down

Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting - Page 2 Empty I dunno

Post by Beebs52 Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Where did my signature go? It went so well with the pic of Artie the Psycho Kitten.
Beebs52
Beebs52

Back to top Go down

Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting - Page 2 Empty Re: Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting

Post by MarleysGh0st Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Is there some problem with the Search feature here? Or some trick to using it I don't know? Nothing I try returns any results.
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCalvinator24 Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Is there some problem with the Search feature here? Or some trick to using it I don't know? Nothing I try returns any results.

I was able to get search results from a Subject, but not the body of a post.
TheCalvinator24
TheCalvinator24

Number of posts : 28

http://thecalvinator.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheConfessor Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:25 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Is there some problem with the Search feature here? Or some trick to using it I don't know? Nothing I try returns any results.

I was able to get search results from a Subject, but not the body of a post.

Search works great at this board:
http://www.grandslamshow.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4
There are lots of options for and/or logic that help customize the search.
TheConfessor
TheConfessor

Registration date : 2007-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:23 pm

It does seem that you can't search the text of a message.

I'll look into that when I can.Sad
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-09-22

http://www.juch.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Beebs52 Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:13 am

I never search anything anyway, so I don't care about that. I'm really liking the avatar stuff. I'm easily amused. I know.
Beebs52
Beebs52

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCalvinator24 Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:30 am

I've applied to the Motley Fool board. I hope I have what it takes to make the cut.

Rolling Eyes
TheCalvinator24
TheCalvinator24

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCalvinator24 Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:32 am

Whoa, does the Motley Fool really only let you see messages from the past 365 days? Archiving won't be avaialble if that's true.
TheCalvinator24
TheCalvinator24

Back to top Go down

Board Alternatives -- Comments and Voting - Page 2 Empty Avatars

Post by TheConfessor Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:43 am

In case anyone cares, I have enabled avatars at the other WWTBAM board at:
http://www.grandslamshow.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4

It was originally set up with the default settings, which apparently had avatars disabled. It's not a big deal to me either way, but I guess some people like having avatars.

That board has essentially the same capabilities as this one, except that it has fully functional search. It's set up as a single forum, without all the sub-categories that are on this board.
TheConfessor
TheConfessor

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:20 am

TheConfessor wrote:In case anyone cares, I have enabled avatars at the other WWTBAM board.

Hmmm. So why have you chosen E.T. as your avatar, Confessor? Can't find a good portrait of your historical namesake?
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:00 am

I'm still trying to get a sense of who's paying for this board, and I suspect that's a concern for other BBs, too. Megabb.com seems to link to forumotion.com, which provides a lot of information about setting up free forums, but they don't say how they do that--or who they are. It's nice to see messages without any banner ads or other advertising garbage, but TANSTAAFL. Bob or somebody, can you enlighten us?

This quesiton may apply to the Grand Slam board, too. Perhaps Ogi is paying to host that web site and is just using the same open source message board software, or perhaps that URL is just another redirection to this same mysterious site.

Enquiring minds want to know!
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I'm still trying to get a sense of who's paying for this board, and I suspect that's a concern for other BBs, too. Megabb.com seems to link to forumotion.com, which provides a lot of information about setting up free forums, but they don't say how they do that--or who they are. It's nice to see messages without any banner ads or other advertising garbage, but TAANSTAFL. Bob or somebody, can you enlighten us?

This question may apply to the Grand Slam board, too. Perhaps Ogi is paying to host that web site and is just using the same open source message board software, or perhaps that URL is just another redirection to this same mysterious site.

Enquiring minds want to know!
As best as I can tell, they provide this site so that people will license the software that drives it. There are no restrictions and no criteria for saying, "OK, you've had your free use, now go and buy it."

Yeah, I know that's a bit strange.

Here's a site that uses the same software to host over 45,000 forums, all for free:
http://www.informe.com/index.html
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:31 am

Bob Juch wrote:As best as I can tell, they provide this site so that people will license the software that drives it. There are no restrictions and no criteria for saying, "OK, you've had your free use, now go and buy it."

The software is open source, so what is there to pay to license? Shouldn't there be a company somewhere to be identified a link somewhere, with contact information, a real address, etc?

And have you read their TOS? Doesn't sound like English (or even legalese English) is their first language.

Just trying to penetrate the smoke and mirrors...
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:As best as I can tell, they provide this site so that people will license the software that drives it. There are no restrictions and no criteria for saying, "OK, you've had your free use, now go and buy it."

The software is open source, so what is there to pay to license? Shouldn't there be a company somewhere to be identified a link somewhere, with contact information, a real address, etc?

And have you read their TOS? Doesn't sound like English (or even legalese English) is their first language.

Just trying to penetrate the smoke and mirrors...
No, their first language is French.

Looking into this further, it appears that the software is totally free and so is the hosting - on several different servers.

I have no idea how they cover the considerable cost.
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tlynn Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 am

[quote="MarleysGh0st"]
TheConfessor wrote:In case anyone cares, I have enabled avatars at the other WWTBAM board.

SOME people just like sparkly things.clap

t.
tlynn
tlynn

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:48 am

tlynn wrote:SOME people just like sparkly things.clap

t.
How's your weather today? Raining?
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tlynn Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Yup - rainy and cool. Liking it...gotta get the warmer clothes out now.

t.
tlynn
tlynn

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsFan68 Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:26 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:I'm still trying to get a sense of who's paying for this board, and I suspect that's a concern for other BBs, too.

I'm OK with this, Marley. Some ads may start showing up, but I'm OK with that.

Or maybe at some point they'll offer something somebody wants that's not free. I'm OK with that too.
SportsFan68
SportsFan68

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsFan68 Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:28 pm

tlynn wrote:

Yup - rainy and cool. Liking it...gotta get the warmer clothes out now.

t.

Same here -- love that rain. Warmer clothes have been out for a couple weeks.
SportsFan68
SportsFan68

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:20 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I'm OK with this, Marley. Some ads may start showing up, but I'm OK with that.

Or maybe at some point they'll offer something somebody wants that's not free. I'm OK with that too.
Nope, no ads ever. I know it sounds too good to be true.
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DevilKitty100 Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Ok, I'm tossing my hat into this ring. Not a perfect world but it's ok.

I also like the goofy icons. And the avatars.

Am I correct that we must see a complete thread though, no single messages list from various threads?
DevilKitty100
DevilKitty100

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Juch Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:04 pm

DevilKitty100 wrote:Ok, I'm tossing my hat into this ring. Not a perfect world but it's ok.

I also like the goofy icons. And the avatars.

Am I correct that we must see a complete thread though, no single messages list from various threads?
Yes, you're correct, but it's easy to jump to your unread messages. (See the first topic.)

Your avatar is so wrong! OMG
Bob Juch
Bob Juch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheConfessor Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Looking into this further, it appears that the software is totally free and so is the hosting - on several different servers.

I have no idea how they cover the considerable cost.

Here's a Wikipedia article about phpBB. I'm not sure if it answers any key questions or just raises new ones. It's still not clear who's paying for all these free message boards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB
TheConfessor
TheConfessor

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleysGh0st Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:15 pm

TheConfessor wrote: Here's a Wikipedia article about phpBB. I'm not sure if it answers any key questions or just raises new ones. It's still not clear who's paying for all these free message boards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

Thanks, Ed. PhpBB is certainly a nice software package. Still curious about our mystery benefactor here.

Is it the same situation for the Grand Slam board (being hosted on a generic "free board" site) or is Ogi the official registrant of the URL and sponsor of the site?
MarleysGh0st
MarleysGh0st

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next